Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Happy birthday to me

So it happened, after years of planning, preparation and speculation, I turned 21. All in all it was a good birthday. I guess I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to see all my friends, but I'll see the rest of them soon so its no big deal.

I woke up early and just kinda chilled which was nice, because I really haven't been able to do that in a while, what with me either having to go somewhere or something happening. After that I went to the bank, target and two comic shops which was nice because I got myself a few things and April a few presents as well.

For myself I picked up:
Die hard 1-3 in a nice small boxed set for only 20 bucks, so that rocks it hardcore.
Fables Vol. 4, which I'm really enjoying.
Some misc. comics that I've been meaning to get for a while now. I just realized today that I'm like 6 months behind on all my comic books, which sucks, but it shouldn't be too hard to recover from.

After that Mom and I went to get some dinner at Atlanta bread company, and lets face it, potato soup in a sour dough bread bowl is always a good idea. Its an anytime food.

we came home, where I proceeded to read half of m fables volume which is so far blowing me away and also kind of depressing to see these guys get slaughtered by the nemesis.

I really like comics, and I really wish I read more. Its weird though, I love super heroes and super hero comics, but I don't actually read any. Theres so much continuity in them that it feels wierd for me to just try and jump into the series and try to figure out who everyone is. Plus there are always so many tie ins between all the major heroes in both DC and Marvel that it feels like you have to buy just about everything out at the time to get the whole story. Take Civil War for example, this was an event that involved every super hero in the marvel universe more or less, so to get the full story you would of had to buy Iron man, Fantastic four, spiderman, Avengers, Punisher, etc. I mean I would love to jump in and start reading all this world war Hulk going on, but I'd probably have to get about a years worth of hulk back issues to get the context of it all. I think thats why I like the independent works so much, you don't need to read anything but Fables to enjoy Fables, and you don't need to read other Kirkman works to enjoy Invincible.

Speaking of Fables, i've been reading through the volumes of it and I'm really liking it so far. I like how the characters are portrayed and how they all act, but there are a few things that I'm not digging about it. The main problem that I have with it is that the Fables supposedly came to the mundane world centuries ago, like 1500s or something is when the first ones showed up. So they've been here for a long time and now currently most of them reside in New York city in what they call Fabletown, which is actually just a few buildings in NYC. The way they act though it really seems more like they all just recently got there, like 10 years max. Lots of the fables are still struggling to make a living in the mundane world, but I don't see how that would really be if they've been here for so long. Like I don't see how Beauty from Beauty and the Beast could work in a book store, if she's been here for centuries, just because all she'd have to do is save a little each year and be a millionaire by now.

Also there is the issue of magic. Now in the comic, magic is very rare and expensive, as there are only a handful of wizards and witches that made it out of the fable world. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me though as I would think that in such a crisis situation, the wizards would just give out more or less any enchantment and spell that anyone needs. For example, there is "the farm" which is a place where all of the non-human looking fables live (the three bears and the three little pigs for example) and Bigsby (the big bad wolf) is not allowed to live there because of his past attempts to eat most of the fables there, but because he was reformed and allowed to live in the mundane world, they put an enchantment on him to allow him to shapeshift into a human and back into his wolf form at will. If they could do it for him, why not all the other ones who don't want to live on the farm? Its jut one of those things that I keep thinking about.

anyway, i'm pretty tiered right now, so thanks to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. I'll see you guys tomarrow and I'll try to finish pictures for the rest of ya

No comments: