Sunday, August 16, 2009

The checklist.

The following items I have scavenged, or bartered for.

Tv stand/entertainment center. I found it in the garbage. some of the screws could probably be tightened, but that would require a screwdriver. It hasn't fallen over yet, so I don't think it will for some time.


Futon bed. Not quite sure how it turns into a couch, but that hasn't been an issue yet. Bought it from a guy named Kane from Criagslist. It cost me 30 dollars, plus 30 bucks worth of gas into Jeff's truck to go get it. Jeff has offered to pay me back, but I have insisted that he does not. Only time will tell. Also, it's my fault anyway for grossly misjudging how much gas it would take to get to Austin and back in the truck. You see, I, being of the liberal hippy mindset believed that it would probably get something like 7 miles to the gallon. In actuality, it's much, much more efficient. Oh well, even at 60 bucks it's still cheaper than buying it anywhere else.

Jeff says he plans to buy a new desk soon, so has offered to give me the table he currently uses. Huzzah!

We also have a microwave of questionable safety concerns. My logic is thus: if it were truly dangerous, they would have put it IN the dumpster and not right next to it. Jeff thinks otherwise, but continues to use it.

A pub table. So far it's gotten little use, but hey, it was free and cool. It's on the balcony right now and I put some candles on it (also found) on it for atmosphere. They offer poor light though.

Things I need:
A usb cable so I don't have to have my computer in the living room to connect to the internet. I doubt I could find one easily, so I may have to suck it up and buy one.

Speakers for my computer. Mine have finally died. I think there is an identical pair at home in what could be referred to as my closet. Otherwise I'll probably have to buy a set as well, as peak dumpster diving season has just now passed.



I think that's all really. There are a few other luxery items I wouldn't mind finding, if given the time or the money but I think past that I should be well off for the time being.

Oh, a headlight for my car. The one on the driver side is out and it sure would be nice to drive at night again. I wonder how hard those are to replace. The owner's manual just says to take it into the dealership for replacement lights but I don't think it's THAT complicated.


Other then THAT though, I gotta say I'm really happy about this new place. I finally feel like I have a place that is MINE, you know? In my last apartment, it felt a lot like a dorm to the point it really took me a year living there before i actually felt comfortable putting up posters because what if they suprise inspect and say I have to take 'em down?

Here though, it feels much more like the place I live and less like the place where I keep my stuff and sleep. It's a feeling I haven't really had since moving out of the Aberdeen house a whole bunch of years ago. I mean, I had to move from my room into my brother's room, then shortly after that we moved into Grandma and Grandpa's house, just in time for me to move to San Marcos and the dorms for a year and then my old apartment for the last two. I'm still organizing my room, and right now it's a mess but once I get caught up on laundry and get everything into it's place my room is going to look and just plain be amazing.

I'll upload pictures sometime tomorrow or later this week. Jeff's parents are coming in tomorrow and I think I might want to clear my computer off the coffee table so they have somewhere to sit. I do have this one for now:


Meet my kick-ass entertainment center. We have 5 game systems that we can hook up. Most are 10 years old or older. Those rabbit ears aren't just for show either, we currently get 4 channels, all Spanish. Not of lot of people I would trade places with right now though.

No comments: