Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Bad webcomics

So its no secret that I love web-comics and want to start mine up again. With this in mind I always like to look at other web-comics and ask myself if I can do better, how I would do better or just how this punchline could of been done differently.

If you'll look to the right, you'll see other web-comics who already have achieved perfection, which serve as a type of inspiration as to what I want to do.

The fallowing are examples of comics that I also gain inspiration of, in the sense of knowing what not to do.

I Drew this is one of the worst web comics I've ever read. The premise is simple enough, really liberal dude makes fun of Republicans. This ends up sucking though, because thats the only thing that ever happens, and not even in a smart Daily show kind of way.

Most of the comics boil down to this:

guy 1: States liberal belief
guy 2: Really angry Republican response
guy 1: Clarification of belief, pointing out obvious flaw in guy 2's reasoning
guy 2: Ignorant statement

Also, the main character is a bald eagle with a silly hat, and he makes strips like this: http://www.idrewthis.org/d/20070209.html

The other example of what not to do, is Wicked Powered a comic set around the idea of "these lasers are awesome, go buy them, heres some hot girls"

Basically this is just bad writing at its finest, because the joke is always the poor dialog between the characters. Bad dialog jokes work out great sometimes, like in this guys other comic Sore thumbs, but when thats the ONLY joke you tell, well, you'll find the horse died a long time ago, long before you started beating it.

1 comment:

Nick Grant said...

Truely, you can call out a bad webcomic. I feel sad that you had to wade through these. Remember the days of being caught up with 8bit Theatre? Those were better times...