Sunday, May 27, 2007

Is it still summer?

I've been having interesting conversations with people lately, most of them being along the lines of:

me: I'M SO BORED! WHY AM I SO BORED?! LETS HANG OUT AND DO SOMETHING

them: I don't live in Garland

me: oh right...so...hows it goin'?

I'm still in Garland, and its weird because its like 1 part I want to be here and two parts I have to be here, baked at 109 degrees for 3 months.

I mean I have to be here, because I can take summer classes here at like 1/50 the cost as taking classes anywhere else. I don't want to be here because my friends all live in Austin, and my girlfriend lives in Houston. I myself kinda live in San Marcos, but not until August. So for the next 3 months, I have to find a job, go to classes (at 8 am) try and read and write enough to not feel like I wasted this time, turn 21, not see my girlfriend for a month while she's in Germany, or at least German owned territory, but still find the time to see her and my friends and not neglect my parents before she leaves.

more or less the same, right?

Now this is what I'm thinking: If I ask my parents if I can not take summer I classes, then I would only have to find a job, one less thing to get in the way of seeing April and my friends for the month April will be here. Right? I mean I could still take a summer II class, then come home and take a winter class for the course I didn't take here this summer. Since I never take winter classes, this would still be knocking out the same number of classes that I normally would in a year. So really this is just a win-win situation.

Now theres only 2 problems with that really.

1) I might get a job with UPS as a mail handler, which from the description seems to be a Monday-Friday job anyway, and since school is only Monday-Thursday Everyone weekend would always be free. This wouldn't be the optimum time to visit April, but its something
1a) If I didn't have a job, I could see her from Thursday afternoon-Sunday, and if I didn't have school I could see her saturday-monday because my Job would'nt start until either 10pm or 3am

2) Asking my parents to do this might not go over so well. My Dad would probably understand, and even though he might disapprove I think he would be fine with it. However the main problem is with my Mom, who would be convinced of the fallowing:
If I don't go to summer I, I won't want to go to summer II. If I don't go to summer II I won't go back to school in the fall. If I don't go back in the Fall I won't go back at all, it'll all be for nothing and I'll never really do anything with my life and she won't have grandkids.

So I don't think I have the guts to ask them, because I just don't want to deal with THAT.

But I should, because its not an unreasonable request, and I'm almost 21. I just shouldn't be afraid of my parents anymore.

Its just this crappy point in my life where I'm not an adult, but also am. I'm going to be 21, and will have an actual apartment and a job and everything; by all discernible measure, I'll be an adult. On the other hand, I've never done a thing to show that I will be an adult.

I think thats why the road trip is kind of like a rite of passage. It shows you have the ability to make your own decisions and actually just make it on your own, even for only a few days. Its like when you're 6 and run away for a few hours, only to come back because you missed your family so much and it was dinner time anyway.

Like maybe if I just made a trip over to some place, just on my own, I would learn something about myself or at least have a bitchin' time.

I dunno, i'm just rambling at this point and should be asleep

No comments: