Saturday, February 21, 2009

2 for feb?

I feel bad that I only updated this thing like 5 times in 2008. I could probably use this as a much better medium for writing than I am. Right now it's kind of just a journal that sometimes someone I know reads when really I should just keep this shit private.

anyway, hopefully that's all over is where I'm going with that.

I just recently got back into San Marcos from Sean/Sean/Mike/Anthony's place, which I'm convinced should be called SHHH or HHHM for short (Sean, Hardaway, Harrison, Herrera or Hardaway, Harrison, Hererra, McCoy). I like "shhh" because it makes their place seem like a seceret hideout or something.

Today we had planned on filming a sketch, but it got kind of late on us so we decided to postpone that until tomorrow while we get everything ready tonight. By we, I of course mean them because I'm 30~ miles away letting my dinner digest before I go work out.

I'm really excited about the sketch show and where it's going. We have, last I heard, 4 sketches in the final editting stages. I'm a little disapointed that they've been in this stage for a couple weeks now but I'm not about to cause a fuss or anything. We've been talking about doing this for so long that I'm afraid of things falling through because of lazyness/better things to do/ loss of interest/ etc. I'd much rather this take longer than it should and still get done than try and go faster than people are comfortable with and end up with something we don't really like.

I felt bad about missing the last writer's meeting. It was to work on school work, so I shouldn't feel bad at all but it's still something I look forword to every week and something I like contributing to. It just sucks because of how busy I'm keeping this semester. I'll probably end up having to miss a few more throughout the year because school just has to come first, but I'm hoping that once I get more used to waking up early and utilizing my time as best I can that I'll have enough time to get school work done, internship work done and also get my sketches written on time and into Anthony for review.

I came up with an idea that I really like, and pitched it to a few people and it seems to be going really well. The sketch would be a lot like a nature show in the way it's filmed. Two or more people (I'm thinking Bob and MK would be good as they're the most in shape looking) are hiding in some brush and talking about the allusive prey they're tracking. The thing is, they're literally apartment hunting. They say something along the lines of how rare it is to find a 4 bedroom in this region, and if they're not careful it'll get away. One of them would lay the "bait" which would just be an envelope with the word RENT written on it and slowly back away. After a few seconds the other shoots it with a dart gun and they both go take their picutre with it like they actually cought it.

I like it, and think it would be pretty easy to film and everything. I want to write it up before the next meeting so we can maybe do a bit of a read through and so it's easier to pitch. That's just the hard part though, because I always feel like my sketches are way too short. This will probably be maybe two pages long, and translate to maybe a minute and a half of actual film if we jazz it up a bit. That seems to be how most of my sketches work because they're all based off one joke which is basically "wouldn't it be funny if..." and after that I just insert things like "some dude was laughing in a bathroom" or "people set up rules for farting" or in this case "some dudes were literally hunting apartments".

I still think my sketches are funny, but I wish I could do more like Anthony where it's more than just one idea played out to the fullest. Speaking of Anthony's sketches, I really want to make a Shirt for "The News". I have it all planned out and I'll show it to sean to see if he can draw it up. If not I *might* be able to get April to draw it decently, but we'd probably have to pay her before she actually did it.

That's all for now. I have to make sure I work out today and study for my Bio test on Wednsday.

2 comments:

Sean McCoy said...

Hey bro!

Glad to see your blog up and running again. I think shorter sketches are better in general because they don't meander and we can tell right away if its funny or not. Invariably, we'll end up adding shit at the last minute that we think is funny, so it's good to have that area to work with. We really missed you last week, I'm glad you'll always try hard to be there.

Anonymous said...

nice-wallpaper

zhst j ) fa 63