Monday, June 4, 2007

Summer jobs

Ok, I've got 3 possibilities right now:

1) Gamecrazy. Its the gaming store owned by Hollywood video.
Pros: Close to home, least physical intensive of what my possibilities are, probably the most fun potential.
cons: This one could probably pay the least, and I've probably got the least chance of getting this one. They may also not actually need anyone right now, but I'm going to make sure to pester them because this is the one I think I want the most.

2) UPS package handler. Moving boxes for money!
Pros: 4-5 hours a day, Monday-Friday, at 8-9 dollars an hour. This is the most steady of pay jobs, because I'll work basically the same hours every day and not for too terribly long. I've got my appointment tomorrow and unless I just make myself look retarded or look like I can't pick up a heavy box I've probably got the job, but theres always that chance.
Cons: I think it may take me 30 minutes to get there, in decent traffic and is moving 5-70lbs boxes.

3) Yard work for the guy who mows our lawn.
Pros: Probably paid in cash. Don't have to work out, because I'll be doing intense physical labor. This might have the best pay potential as well. I've got the job already basically, all I need to do is call the guy.
Cons: I'll be doing intense physical labor. I just strait up do not want to do this, I mean, they do 30 lawns on Saturdays and work for like 15 hours. I'd rather go crawling back to Target.


On a side note, my dad gave me a lecture about responsibility and respect. Normally I have these coming and he ends up being right, but today it just completely pissed me off. He started out by saying that I called him a pushover in my last post, which when I didn't know what he was talking about he seemed to think I was playing dumb. Now, what I said was:


Asking my parents to do this might not go over so well. My Dad would probably understand, and even though he might disapprove I think he would be fine with it.


Now, where he got him being a pushover I have no idea. Everything in those above two sentences are just true and meant in a respectful way. Asking my parents to take summer I off probably would not of gone over too well, thats just true. They want me to take summer classes to make full use of the education they're providing for me, so every time I want to take time off, or fail a class/withdraw from one it just keeps me in school for that much longer. I understand that, they understand that but it was still something I was considering doing anyway so you can imagine that me asking them may not of been exactly what they wanted to hear.

"My dad would probably understand" this is also true. My dad understands that seeing my friends is important to me, he would of understood why I was making that request.

"Even though he might disapprove, I think he would be fine with it," Again, this is just me saying that my dad, if given the option would always chose my taking summer classes then me not taking summer classes. This is also me saying that my while my dad wants me to do that, he's pretty easy going and in the end would be fine with my decision to just not take a class now. This is probably where he got the whole pushover thing from, but I still don't see how being easy going and a generally mellow guy is being a pushover. I mean he's made a kid a footlocker cry, and almost got someone else fired at McDonald's over being overcharged 30 some odd cents for coffee.

I guess it just goes to show how important it is to chose your words carefully around people. Seems like the more I talk to people the more its like stepping through a minefield, one wrong move and it just gets messy.

1 comment:

Nick Grant said...

I was very deeply offended by the UPS package handler comment.

I think that it undermines me.