Saturday, June 30, 2007

Work work work

So I've started my new job, and gotten my first paycheck (51.12) and I think I might like this job alright. Its hard adjusting though, just because I get off at 7 am, so I sleep all day. And I could literally sleep all day if given the chance, yesterday I didn't wake up until 8pm because I was so physically tiered. Thats the part thats really getting me, the physical strain, my feet hurt, my legs hurt, my back pops when I bend it, my arms are sore, etc. Physically its not THAT demanding of a job, its just that I have to work quickly in order to keep up with the amount of product we have to put out.

The way it works is basically this:

10:00-Get to work, clock in and have our meeting in the break room. The manager in charge for the night will go over who is working where, and about how much to expect tonight so what we should prioritize.

10:10- Go to our area and bring the shopping carts up so that we can separate our pallets by shopping isle.

11:00- Finish seperating, start upening and stocking the freight (the new stuff we just got today)

12:00- first 15 minute break

12:15- Back to work

2:00- Lunch (I get an hour for this, which is nice, but it cuts into time I could use to get my freight done and start to work on breakdown buggies)

3-Back to work

4-last 15 minute break

4:15- This is when I tend to get done with my portion of the freight and start to work on breakdown buggies. A breakdown buggie is when we have shopping carts full of just random items that go on my lane, but aren't in boxes or anything.

5:30 (ish)- Start cleaning up, getting all my trash into as few shopping carts as possible, and going to see where else I can help in my section

6- Start taking the trash into the back, I like to do this as early as possible to make sure I don't get stuck with having to make a bale ( a large compacted rectangular prism of cardbord boxes, tied together and put on a pallet) mostly because I don't know how. After this, I go back to my lane and zone it (straiten all the items on the shelves so the label is facing outward and its all uniform)

7- go home

maybe 9 ish- sleep

so its definitely not the easiest thing I've ever done, but its not TOO demanding. The work goes by pretty quick (except for the last 2 hours, but I've found that to be true of ANY job) and the pay is good, especially considering I don't pay rent or anything 'cause I'm living at home for now.
I'm wondering if I should try to get this transfered down to San Marcos when I go back to school. Its good money, and again with my parents paying my rent I could be saving easily most of it. The downside though is of course the hours and its conflict with school. Right now I'm registered for classes starting at 11 and ending at about 3 Monday-Thursday. Its a schedule I really like (no Friday classes) and I like the classes I'm taking, some of which this is the only time I COULD take those classes. But if I generally sleep from like 8-5pm, I would either have to take my classes from say 5-9pm or 8-11 am or something like that, or try to only work maybe 2 or 3 days a week so its not too much for me to handle.

I'd be scared though that those 2-3 days would be Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I would find myself sans a weekend this semester, and I desperately need my weekends because of my proximity to everyone I know. I have friends in Austin, a girlfriend in Houston, parents in Dallas and I live in San Marcos. So with the obligations and the desire to be in all of those places at once, I really need my weekends.

I guess I have a month to think about it though, so its not something I need to decide right now. Anyway, thats all for now, I'm going to go stretch out my back and get some water, then maybe a poop, who knows?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.